Saturday, January 26, 2013

THE SHRINE OF KAMAY NI HESUS



It has been an “informal” tradition of mine to go and visit churches during the year: during Holy Week (a sort of Visita Iglesia), during the Christmas season (to see the Belen) and sometime before or after my birthday (a sort of pilgrimage of thanksgiving for the gift of life and to ask for God’s blessing for another year of life).

A couple of years ago one of our Postnovices was invited by the youth of a barrio chapel to accompany them to Kamay ni Hesus in Lucban. I inquired why this place was so famous. I was told that it was connected to the ministry of a healing priest. I told myself that maybe I should go and see the place sometime in the future. The opportunity presented itself in 2012 some days after my birthday.

Although I live in Canlubang, Laguna, the trip to the Shrine took a good three hours. It was not in Lucban itself but outside of the town. I was first impressed by the size of the complex. It was huge. That was a good thing because with the number of people pouring in, space was a priority. (They ought to do something with the parking space, though.) The first thing I wanted to see was the church itself. It was already full of people. And all I could do was to take a peep. I will have to go back later.

To the left of the church was a hill. On top was a huge statue of Jesus Christ. It reminded me of the gigantic statue of Christ the Redeemer of Rio de Janeiro. To reach the top you have to follow a trail that zigzagged across the slope of the hill. Life-size Stations of the Cross were distributed along the trail. I made my way to the beginning of the trail, took a deep breath and began the ascent. I stopped now and then to take photos and to wipe away perspiration that was running down my face and body. On top I found men and women, adults and children taking some respite from the climb.

The way down was easier. On the left side of the hill were steps leading straight down to the foot of the hill.

Once down I went to the church again to see if there was enough space for me to go inside. The Mass was over and Fr. Joey Faller, the healing priest, had begun the healing session for the morning. I was impressed by what I heard and by what I saw. I heard Fr. Joey reminding the people in a kindly way that they were there to pray. He gave importance to prayer. Now that was something. And then I saw him praying over the sick without fanfare and inviting them to pray as well. There were no theatrics. The healing session was all simplicity. By doing that he did not call attention to himself. That impressed me, too.

I do not know if any healing took place. But I did see him helping an old man to his feet. He had been sitting on a wheel chair.

At Kamay ni Hesus, it is not Fr. Joey Faller who heals. It is God. Fr. Faller himself acknowledges that he is merely God’s instrument. And it is God who chooses who to make well.

I am sure that not everyone who came to Kamay ni Hesus for healing came away healed. Millions have gone to Lourdes and Fatima in the hope of being healed. Only a few do get healed. Why? God knows what he is doing. He has his reasons. And that should be enough.

This is what faith is. We entrust ourselves in God’s hands because we know we are in good hands. And no matter what happens, we know that everything will turn out all right for us in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment