Saturday, August 17, 2013

BATO AT ILAW (ROCK AND LIGHT)


[Photo: Mount Batulao late in the morning. Taken at Don Bosco Batulao.]


[Photo: Mt. Batulao late in the afternoon. Taken at The Chapel on the Hill, Don Bosco Batulao.]



[Photo: Mt. Batulao after sunset. Taken at Don Bosco Batulao.]

From AboutPhil.com

Because of its proximity to Metro Manila, Mt. Batulao is highly recommended as a mountain climbing destination for dayhikers and novice mountaineers.   For its main attraction, the summit of Mt. Batulao offers a spectacular 360-degree view of the Batangas landscape, including Taal Lake and Volcano, and Balayan Bay.

Batulao’s name was derived from “Bato sa Ilao” (Illuminated Rocks) which later on became abbreviated to “Batulao.”  According to local residents, every yearend the sun sets right between Batulao’s two peaks, creating a spectacular image of rocks surrounding a disc of red light.



What I heard was that Batulao came from "Bato AT Ilaw". The name seem to have come from the marriage of the setting sun and the space between the two mountain peaks that happen towards the end of the year.

I will always associate Mt. Batulao with the Don Bosco Batulao retreat house. Many years ago I brought high school graduating students there for their retreats. I myself have gone there for my annual summer retreat. I have participated in Provincial Chapters there. Many ongoing formation programs, meetings and conferences have been held there, too. I will always remember Don Bosco Batulao as place for renewal and refreshment of body and soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment