Saturday, December 8, 2012

THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF MARY (Dec. 8)



The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception reminds me of a lot of things.

I made my First Communion at the San Sebastian Church on that day. It was early in the morning. Either the sun was not yet up or the sky was overcast.

I was ordained a priest on that day in 1983 by Jaime Cardinal Sin in the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians in Better Living, Paranaque.

My assignment as a priest started in Don Bosco Mandaluyong. I stayed there for 13 years, first as the High School Catechist, then as Principal of the Basic Education Department and finally, as dean of the College of Engineering.

I was transferred to Don Bosco Makati and stayed for five years. I was supposed to be the last Rector of that institution. The plan was to close it and transfer it to another location. That did not push through and Don Bosco stayed put in Makati.

After that stint I was sent to Don Bosco Canlubang. In those days there were only two communities there: the Prenovitiate Community (which was also responsible for the school) and the Postnovitiate Community. Now there are three communities. The College Community takes care of the school.

I was with the Prenovitiate Community for five years. Then I asked to study Salesianity in Rome as part of my desire to deepen my Salesian identity as a priest to celebrate 25 years of priesthood in 2008.

And now I am back in Don Bosco Canlubang, but with the Postnovitiate community. This is my fourth year in this community.

Yesterday was Dec. 8. I turned 29 as a priest yesterday. (Today is Dec. 9 that I am publishing this article.). As I am wont to do when I celebrate an anniversary, I looked back and thanked God for giving me the privilege of being his priest in the Salesian Congregation. But I also looked into the future and asked God to indicate to me what he wants me to do in the concrete.

When I turn 30 as a priest (or sometime after that), I hope to go on a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal and to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. (I wasn’t able to go on a pilgrimage when I turned 25 as a priest. Yes, it’s late but better late than never.)

Please do say a little prayer for me.

Photo: Immaculada Concepcion Parish at Sta. Maria, Bulacan

No comments:

Post a Comment