Saturday, June 1, 2013

THE TRAPPIST MONASTERY OF GUIMARAS


[Photo: Mass at the Trappist Monastery in Guimaras]

The official name of the Trappist Monastery in Guimaras is Our Lady of the Philippines Trappist Abbey. The official name of the Order of the Trappist monks in that monastery is the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance. While there are several monasteries for contemplative nuns, this is the only monastery for contemplative men in the Philippines. I do not include the Benedictines of San Beda, Alabang and Malaybalay because they do not live the same kind of life as the Trasppists, although both follow the Rule of St. Benedict.

I have been to this monastery twice. The first time was just a passing visit of half an hour. I took a look at their church and then at their gift shop. The second time was for six days. I was there to give a retreat to our novices before their first profession.

During my stay I saw a Trappist monk give a retreat to a small group of women. From afar I noticed how he was able to make these women laugh as he gave them a conference. I was happy to discover that Trappists monks do not have to be serious all the time.

I witnessed their community at Mass and at Compline (something like night prayers). I found dramatic the singing of the Salve, Regina at the end of Compline. The voices of the monks reverberated throughout the church. The church itself was shrouded in darkness save for the spotlight trained on our Lady’s statue.
The monks sanctify the whole day by praying together seven times throughout the twenty-four hour period.  Compline is last. The first is called vigil. It is at 2:30 am! I didn’t go for this prayer. Too early for me. But some of our novices did go just for the experience.

The life of the monks revolves around work and prayer. They earn their living by the work of their hands. One of the monks made himself available to show us their “bakery”. Among their products are otap (mango and ube), mango bars, mango biscocho, and jellies. You can buy them at SM’s Kultura. We appreciated this monk’s hospitality. He gave us a generous serving of some of their products to taste.

This first time I became aware of the Trappists was in High School when I read Thomas Merton’s autobiography, The Seven Storey Mountain. I must say that he made a great impression on me. Unfortunately, he died of electrocution in Bangkok, Thailand while attending a meeting of religious leaders.

The next time I came across another book about the Trappists was when I was a novice. I found in the library a book entitled, “The Family That Overtook Christ”. It was about the remarkable family of St. Bernard of Clairvaux. His father Tescalin has been declared “Venerable” by the Church, and his mother, Alice, his sister Humbeline, and his brothers Guy, Gerard, Andrew, Bartholomew, and Nivard have all been declared “Blessed.” The holy siblings frequently attributed their exceptional religious formation to their parents, who truly raised a generation of saints. (My Catholic Faith Delivered).


And so it was with St. Therese of the Child Jesus whose parents have been declared “Blessed”. And so it was with St. John Bosco whose mother’s cause for canonization has been introduced. Thus is proved true the “salawikain”: “Kung ano ang puno siya ang bunga”. Indeed, saints are many times the result of the influence of saintly parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment